What Is Dry Hair?
When hair does not have enough moisture to retain its shine and lustre, it is known as dry hair. This makes hair appear lifeless and dull. Hair is made up of three layers. Healthy hair has natural oils in the outer layer that protects the inner layers. This is known as sebum.
Without sebum, the outer layers of the hair strand may become damaged or the scalp may be dry that causes dry hair. Dry hair is a common issue faced by many men and women. Hair can get dehydrated just like the human body, that is, it doesn’t retain moisture. It may bring about frizziness or may make the hair fall flat.
What Causes Dry Hair?
Dry hair can be caused by external elements like humidity, how you take care of it or it may be an internal problem like a medical issue. Often straightening, smoothening and colouring procedures also lead to damaged and dry hair.
Other Causes Of Dry Hair Can Be
- Medical conditions like anorexia, thyroid or Menkes syndrome
- Hereditary Problems
- Dry, hot and humid climate
- Chlorinated water
- Excessive chemical use
- Excessive blow-drying hair
- Cuticle damage
- Spending lot of time in sun and wind
Home Remedies For Dry and Damaged Hair
There are multiple home remedies that can tackle dry hair. They are described as follows:
- Application of a mixture of 1 tablespoon of root juice, lemon juice and sesame oil strengthens and nourishes the hair. Keep this mixture on for half hour and then shampoo.
- Application of coconut oil and yogurt to the hair and scalp also addresses the issue. After application and retention for 1 or 2 hours, hair can be washed off with shampoo.
- Using henna can also improve hair health significantly. Take three spoons of henna powder and mix with brewed tea to make a thick paste. Add in some yogurt and leave it overnight. Apply the mixture in the morning lave on for one hour and then wash off.
- Egg yolks can moisturize hair and also condition it. Add two eggs to half a cup of olive oil and apply on the head. Cover with a shower cap and shampoo after one hour.
- Aloe Vera moisturizes hair well and brings back its shine. Drink some aloe vera juice to keep your body healthy. Along with this aloe vera gel or shampoo can be used to moisturize hair.
- Add curry leaves to coconut oil, heat the mixture and then cool it. Apply on hair and scalp for 15 minutes before rinsing off.
- Milk and bananas also add moisture to the hair. Prepare a hair mask using milk powder and milk or milk and eggs. Apply for one hour and rinse or use eggs and bananas, apply for one hour and rinse.
- Using butter is also a remedy; unusual but a remedy nonetheless. Use a small amount of butter to massage into the hair and then cover with a shower cap. Keep on for a half hour and then shampoo to remove excess butter.
- Freshly brewed tea also adds lustre to hair. Use tea to rinse hair after shampoo. Be careful to use tea that matches your hair colour, as tea enhances hair colour.
- Fenugreek seeds reduce the dryness in hair and condition it. Use 50 gm fenugreek seeds and soak them overnight. Crush them to make a fine paste. Add 4 tablespoons yogurt, some olive oil and honey. Apply on hair for one hour and wash off.
- Apple cider vinegar has many properties and one is to nourish hair. Mix 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 3 egg whites. Apply the mixture to your hair and leave on for half an hour while covering it with a shower cap. Rinse afterwards.
- An avocado mask also works wonder for dry hair. Puree the avocado fruit with some milk and coconut oil. Apply this mask for 15 minutes and shampoo your hair.
- Sandalwood oil mixed with jojoba or olive oil can condition and reduce brittle hair. Alternatively, a cream can be used instead of olive or jojoba oil for application.
- Using a rinse of apple cider vinegar and water, before and after swimming can help manage dry hair.
- Another alternative treatment includes using 1 tablespoon gelatin with 1 cup water. To this add 6 drops of any essential oil like lavender, jasmine or rosemary and include 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar. Apply this mixture on wet hair after shampoo and rinse.
Honey Treatment For Dry and Damaged Hair
- Honey is a well-known moisturizing agent as it contains humectants properties and is often used to get soft skin
- The same honey can be used to treat dry and damaged hair that act as emollient that will transform hair into luscious locks
- Honey makes hair smooth, shiny and supple
- Enzymes and nutrients in honey nourish hair follicles and rejuvenate dry hair
- Antibacterial properties of honey clean oil build up on scalp, remove dandruff flakes, and also restore scalp pH balance
- Antioxidants in honey protect hair from pollution, sun damage
- Fructose and glucose in honey strengthen hair roots and prevent breakage
- Honey stimulates hair growth and accelerates re-growth of dormant hair follicles and prevent hair fall.
Honey itself can be used or additional ingredients can be added to the hair remedies. The following are the treatments recommended for dry and damaged hair:
1. Honey and Yogurt Pack
Honey has humectant properties and yogurt moisturizes hair well. Using these 2 ingredients will add the necessary elements to your hair to make it look gorgeous. Anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties of honey prevent dandruff and soothe itchy scalp. Yogurt is a hair softener, proteins present in yogurt strengthen hair shaft and prevent hair damage and split ends. Lactic acid in yogurt hydrates hair and removes dead cells from hair with gentle cleansing. Vitamin E and oleic acid in olive oil rejuvenate dry hair and improve elasticity.
- Make a paste of 2 tablespoons of honey, one tablespoon of yogurt and one tablespoon of coconut oil or olive oil
- Warm well while stirring it and apply on your hair. Cover the head with a shower cap and rinse off after 20 minutes
- Repeat twice a month for better results.
2. Honey and Olive Oil
Honey and olive oil makes hair soft while nourishing it with required elements. Honey boosts hair growth while Olive oil acts as a natural conditioner that improves health of the hair.
- A honey hair mask with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and half a cup of honey can be applied on the hair and scalp
- Cover the head with a warm towel and shampoo after 30 minutes.
- Alternatively, blend 1/4th cup olive oil and ½ cup honey for 30 sec in microwave
- Add 1/4th cup butter milk (optional) to the cooled mixture and stir
- Apply on hair and leave for 30 minutes after wearing plastic cap
- Rinse with cool or lukewarm water and then shampoo
- Repeat 2-4 times a month for better result
3. Simple Honey Pack
A simple mix of honey and water can renew dry locks.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of water to 1/4th cup honey and stir it to even out the consistency
- Apply this to damp scalp and hair and leave it on for 30-40 minutes
- Either shampoo or just rinse with plain water
- This can be done every few days in a week
- Also, a simple rinse made out of 1 cup of honey and 1 mug of water post shampoo will add lustre.
4. Honey and Milk
Milk is full of fat and honey is a good moisturizing agent, nourishes hair and makes hair softer. Whey and casein proteins in milk stimulate hair follicle growth. Creaminess of milk acts as conditioner and makes hair softer. A mixture of these two will do wonders for dry hair.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of honey with half a cup of full-fat milk and apply on hair
- Leave on for 20 minutes before washing off.
5. Honey and Egg Mask
Eggs strengthen the hair follicles and moisturize the hair. Proteins and Vitamin A in the egg nourish hair. Honey, as we know, is a good moisturizing agent. Using this mixture will make your hair resistant towards damage.
- Add 1 egg and 1 tablespoon honey in a bowl and whisk. Apply this mix to the hair and scalp and put on a shower cap
- Leave it in for an hour then rinse and shampoo
- This remedy can be followed 2-3 times a week
- Alternatively mix 1 egg, 1 banana, 3 tablespoons of milk, 5 tbsp olive oil and 3 tbsp honey in a bowl to get even consistency. Apply on hair, leave for 1 hr and rinse gently with water then shampoo. Do this twice or thrice a week.
6. Honey – Avocado Mask
Avocados contain antioxidants that boost scalp health and prevent damage. It also contains oils that nourish the hair. Fatty amino acids in avocado help in retaining moisture. It also has vitamins, minerals, iron, copper which promote growth of healthy hair and new hair growth by unclogging follicles. It repairs damaged hair by conditioning hair. This hair pack ensures good scalp health.
- For the mask blend one ripe avocado with a half a cup of honey and apply it on the hair
- Leave on for 15-20 minutes and then wash off.
- Alternatively, take one ripe avocado, 2 tbsp raw honey, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil which is optional. Mix all the ingredients well in a blender. Apply the mixture on scalp and hair then cover with shower cap. Blow heat using blow drier for 15 minutes then wash hair with water. Shampoo your hair and use conditioner followed by drying hair.
7. Honey and Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a known moisturizer, de-frizzer and conditioner. It is often applied to locks before shampooing. Coconut oil penetrates deep into the follicles that boost hair growth. Building over its properties, we have added honey to the mix to double hydrate your hair. Honey restores health of damaged hair and provides original lustre.
- Mix half a cup of coconut oil with the same quantity of honey
- Massage mixture on the hair and leave on for 15 minutes before washing off.
8. Honey – Aloe Vera Mask
This mask reduces dandruff and at the same time nourishes hair. Aloe Vera helps fight against scalp diseases and honey helps in re-growing hair. Antioxidants like Vitamins A, E, C in aloe vera protect hair from sun damage, maintain collagen, protects cells in blood vessels and stimulates hair growth. Aloe vera gel has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. It also has amino acids which detoxifies toxins in the body.
- In a bowl add 1 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoon aloe vera gel, 2 tablespoon yogurt and 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Apply the mask and leave it on for 15-20 minutes before washing it off.
9. Honey and Coconut Milk Pack
Coconut Milk is rich in fat and oils and hence acts as a good moisturizer. It conditions and softens hair while strengthening the follicles.
- Extract coconut flesh using a grater and add warm water to it. Squeeze this mixture to extract coconut milk
- Combine around half a cup of coconut milk with 1 tablespoon of honey and apply on hair and scalp
- Leave it in for an hour and then wash off
- This pack can be used 3-4 times weekly.
10. Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a natural conditioner and mixed with honey will give a beautiful shine and lustre to your hair. ACV is good for itchy and dry scalp as it has antifungal properties. ACV is an excellent hair conditioner, smoothen hair cuticles and cleanse up build up oils. It is a natural detangler and make hair surface flat and smooth.
- Mix ¼ cup of honey with 10 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Apply to wet hair and let it sit for 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
11. Castor Oil and Honey
Castor oil boost hair growth and honey nourishes hair. It has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that prevent scalp infections and the ricinoleic acid improves circulation in the scalp.
- Mix 1 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoon castor oil and 1 egg together. Apply this to the head and cover with a shower cap
- Let it sit for one hour and rinse or shampoo the hair.
12. Oatmeal and Honey
Oatmeal soothes and cleanses the scalp and is crucial for growth. It also reduces malnutrition and can be eaten as breakfast to add to a healthy body. For the mask:
- Blend 2 tablespoons of oatmeal with 1 teaspoon honey and 1 tablespoon yogurt
- Apply to the head and let it sit for 30 minutes. Wash off with water and/or shampoo
- Use this twice a week.
13. Honey – Banana Pack
Bananas are a source of potassium that can rehydrate and moisturize hair. They also have vitamin B6, Vitamin C that helps in the creation of sebum, which is a natural oil produced by hair follicles. Its natural oils protect the strands from losing moisture.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to an extra ripe banana and mix to make smooth paste
- Banana gets stuck on hair and hard to wash off, so add 1/4th cup olive oil to avoid this and to make mixture smooth (optional)
- Apply this to the hair and cover with a shower cap
- Wait for 1 hour and rinse or shampoo. Follow this 3-4 times a month.
14. Honey and Lemon Pack
Lemon is a good source of vitamin C that strengthens hair follicles and softens the coarse texture of hair. The juice facilitates circulation and good health of the scalp. For the mask:
- Mix the juice of one lemon along with 2 tablespoons of honey. Apply this mixture to the head and massage the scalp too
- Leave on for 20 to 30 minutes and wash with water. Repeat this remedy 3 to 4 times a month.
15. Potato, Egg Yolk and Honey
Potato contains certain vitamins and elements like iron and zinc that promote hair growth and nourishes follicles. It also cleanses the scalp. Egg and honey nourish hair and promote healthy hair. For the mask:
- Mix juice from one potato, 1 egg and 1 tablespoon honey and apply it on the head
- Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash off. Use it once a week.
Honey is a good moisturizing agent and is a naturally occurring substance. By using honey, we minimize the use of artificial and chemical products that further damage hair.