The surface of the skin remains lubricated with the help of sebum, an oily fluid. Sebaceous gland is present beneath the skin throughout the body which is nothing but exocrine glands. These glands secrete sebum which keeps the skin oily and lubricated. Sebum is responsible for preventing skin dryness and is composed of fat, keratin and cellular debris. If sebum is not there the skin would become very dry giving room for dehydration, sensitivity and irritation. The skin looks clean and moisturized only because of sebum and sebaceous gland which also maintains the acid mantle required for the skin.
The same sebum if secreted in excess volume can cause oily skin. Having a greasy skin can cause uncomfortable feeling and it may affect your self esteem also. People with oily skin can have problems in using many cosmetic products. Apart from cosmetic issues, excess of sebum production can give rise to growth of bacteria leading to an infection. Oily skin can trigger formation of pimples, blackheads and large pores in the skin.
You can check with a dermatologist for treating oily skin for which plenty of treatment options are available. In this article you will get to know the ways of treating oily skin with simple home remedies.
1. Washing – You can simply wash your face 3-5 times with plain water, if you have an oily skin. Don’t use any soaps or detergents. Gently apply plain water on your face and massage it with your fingers to remove excess of oil.
2. Blotting Paper – This method is suitable for only those who have excess of oily secretion on the skin. Wipe off excess of oil from the face using blotting paper which would absorb greasy oil easily.
3. Honey – Honey is a natural antiseptic product and all you have to is to take few drops of pure honey and gently massage it on your face. Leave it for 10 minutes before washing. Honey can absorb excess of moisture and oil contents easily giving you a glowing skin.
4. Clay – Cosmetic clays can give relief from oily skin. Add few drops of water to 1-2 tsp of cosmetic clay and make a paste. Apply this paste on your face and allow it to dry. Wash your face with plain water after some time. Clay masks are inexpensive method for getting glowing skin and removing excess of oil.
5. Oatmeal – Add 4-5 tsp of oats to hot water to make a paste. Add few drops of honey and apply this mixture on your face. Leave it for 5 minutes before washing it with warm water.
6. Egg White – Egg white is rich in protein content and is good for your skin. Make a paste by stirring the egg white with few drops of lemon and apply it as a mask on your face. Rinse with warm water after few minutes. By repeating this simple home remedy daily excess of oil content from the face would disappear.
7. Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera gel can be applied on your face overnight. It helps in removing excess of oil and is effective in treating various skin conditions like flaky skin, pimples and whiteheads.
8. Jojoba Oil – Actually jojoba oil keeps the skin oily but still you can try using few drops of this oil which interrupts excess of sebum production from the gland. Be careful in using this oil minimally otherwise you may end up having more of oily skin.
9. Besan – Add few drops of water to gram flour (besan) to make a paste. Apply this mixture on your face thoroughly. Rinse with warm water after it dries.
10. Orange Peels – Orange is an excellent source of vitamin C that helps in keeping the skin soft and fresh. Blend the dried orange peels in a mixer to make a fine powder. Make a paste by adding few drops of rose water. Apply this paste on your face and allow it to dry. Wash it with plain water and pat dry. Your skin complexion improves within few days after following this remedy and you will look younger.
11. Apple – Several minerals and nutrients present in the apple helps in rejuvenating the skin cells. Blend few pieces of apple after adding few drops of lemon juice and egg white in a mixer. Apply this paste evenly on the face and wash it with cool water after 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can apply apple cider vinegar through a cotton ball on your face.
12. Cucumber – Cucumber is a natural source of Vitamin A and E hence effective in controlling excess oil secretion. Apply few drops of cucumber juice liberally on the face and leave it overnight.
13. Salt – Application of Epsom salt on the face is effective in removing dead cells of the skin. You can make a paste of Epsom salt with lemon juice or lavender oil or peppermint oil.
14. Baking Soda – Apply the paste of baking soda and rosewater on your face. It can remove excess of oil and dirt from your face and balance the pH level. Leave it for few minutes and wash the face with warm water.
15. Yogurt – Yogurt is a good antibacterial agent used for treating many infections. It can remove excess of oil and any other impurities from the skin. Gently massage 1-2 tsp of yogurt on your face and allow it to dry. Rinse it with water after few minutes. You can add few drops of honey with yogurt to get added benefits.
Lifestyle Modification :
You cannot do anything if you are born with oily skin. But you can take measures to remove toxins from your body by including plenty of fruits and fresh vegetables in your daily diet. Fruits like oranges, apple, cucumber and watermelon are useful for cleansing the body. Add omega 3 fatty acids foods like soy products and sea foods. Reduce or completely avoid taking alcohol. Avoid eating junk foods and fried items.
Medical Treatment :
Based on your skin condition, your doctor may recommend Accutane for treating oily skin. Excess of sebum secretion can be controlled by accutane. However you should know about its side effects before using this medication.
Some Useful Tips :
- Do not wash your face many times this can make conditions worse.
- Avoid using any soap on your face.
- Use recommended sun protection formula while going out.
- Do not use moisturizer if you have oily skin.
- Do not touch your face often since it can add more of dirt into it.
- Stick on to natural home remedies instead of medical treatment for oily skin.
- You can use fresh fruit juices like papaya and watermelon on your face liberally.
- Avoid using cosmetics if you have oily skin.
- Facial steaming can be done for removing the dirt from the clogged pores but don’t overdo it.