It is true that having a nice jewelry on your lips would boost your looks in the society for sure. But it is also true that getting lip piercing done is vulnerable to infection. People who are not maintaining good oral hygiene are at high risk of developing lip piercing infection. Improper dental hygiene is the main cause of lip piercing infection on which virus and bacteria would enter into. If not treated in time, this can spread to the mouth and in turn to your teeth and gums.
Growth of bacteria on the infected site (lips) is the main cause of lip piercing infection. Using dirty clothes on your face makes the lips vulnerable to infection. Playing and fondling the lips with your fingers can cause lip piercing infection. Using inexpensive rings and studs can increase the risk of infection. If the studs or lip-ring is pulled by food particles or your clothing it can tear off the area leading to infection. Taking infected items and alcohol increases the chance of getting an infection. Maintaining poor hygiene while the piercing site is not completely healed can cause infection.
Some of the common signs of lip piercing infection include swollen lip, pain/discomfort on the lip and inflammation in and around the area of piercing. Normally the pain or mild discomfort would settle within two days of piercing. If the pain does not subside even after 3 days, it can be a sign of infection. Severe itching sensation and pale color of the pierced lip can be due to erythema. It can cause burning pain and irritation if the lip is infected. If left untreated at this stage, blisters or bumps can form on the infected lip leading to foul smelling discharge. Blisters are often filled with pus like yellowish fluid. In more severe cases it can cause fever, swelling of lymph nodes and soreness of lips.
Before knowing the method of treating infected lip you should understand that it takes long time for complete healing, since lips are soft and delicate organs. Having lip piercing infection can cause difficulty in eating and drinking anything. If you feel that pain/discomfort and irritation on the pierced lip does not subside within few days you need to consult your GP. Get immediate relief by taking painkillers like Ibuprofen. Based on the symptom and intensity of infection your doctor may prescribe antibiotics. Remember to complete the course of medication so that infection may not recur.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures of Infected Lip Piercing :
Home Remedies :
- Apply 1tsp of yogurt liberally on the infected lip. Yogurt is rich in good bacteria and hence you can take 1-2 cups of yogurt daily.
- Sea salt solution can be effective in treating lip piercing infection. Rinse the lips with sea salt liquid many times a day.
- You can also use mouthwashes (alcohol free) for cleansing the lips and mouth.
- Applying warm compress on the infected site can help in reducing swelling.
- Avoid having hot and spicy foods until the infection is healed completely.
Some Useful Tips And Care :
- Don’t touch the pierced lip with your fingers often.
- Wash the hands thoroughly when cleaning the lips.
- Use antibacterial soap and mouthwash regularly after getting the lip pierced.
- Food particles can get caught in the lip-ring easily. Hence clean the jewelry or stud regularly to prevent further infection.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.