Inflamed gums are common form of periodontal disease. It is marked by redness and inflammation of the gums and in medical terms it is called gingivitis. If not attended properly, inflamed gums can cause permanent tooth loss. Poor oral hygiene is the main reason for gum inflammation. Proper dental care and regular visit to dental clinic is essential to avoid gum inflammation and any other dental disease.
The color of healthy gums will be pink. Any change in color of the gums to dark red color indicates gum inflammation. The gums may get inflamed and become puffy. There may be bleeding of gums with pain when it gets inflamed. For some people the gums can be receding and become tender. Your gums will start bleeding and is prominent during brushing and flossing. Bad breath and tenderness in gums are also evident in some people.
Inflamed Gums Causes :
Improper brushing is the main reason for inflamed gums. When you are not brushing properly it leads to the accumulation of food particles on the cavities of the mouth. This in turn will cause plaque which is visible as sticky film on the teeth confirming the presence of bacteria. To avoid getting plaques you need to brush your teeth twice a day or after every meal.
Bacteria feed on leftover food particles on the teeth causing bad breath and plaque. After few days it becomes hard and forms a thick layer on the lining of gums called tartar. This would cause inflamed gums and bleeding with pain. Normal plaque is easy to remove when compared with tartar.
Who Are At Risk ?
People who do not follow proper brushing techniques, old age people, use of tobacco, having auto immune disorders, those who are prone to viral infections have increased risk of getting inflammation of gums. Use of tobacco in any form can damage the gums giving rise to plaque and tartar.
Inflamed Gums Treatment :
- When you have inflamed gums it is right time to see your dentist. You should not postpone visiting your dentist since it will cause more complication and builds up tartar which is difficult to remove.
- Your dentist will examine the tooth and carefully remove all the plaque particles from the cavities. You need to follow the instructions of your doctor for proper brushing and flossing. If necessary he may suggest you to wear dental fixtures for maintaining good dental hygiene.
- Scaling is the process of removal of tartar and plaque particles from the teeth.
- You can use antiseptic mouthwash before going to bed for rinsing the mouth daily. Always monitor the health of your gums to prevent any gum inflammation. You will not get any gum problems if the color of your gums is pink.
- Get professional help whenever you have dental problems. Change your toothbrush every 3 months and use soft toothbrush. Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Regular flossing is essential to prevent bacterial growth. You can use electronic toothbrush that are effective in removing plaque.
- Avoid smoking and using tobacco in any form. Once in a while, use antiseptic mouthwash to remove any food particles and bacteria from your mouth.