Psoriasis is a type of skin problem in which the cells of the skin grow rapidly thereby increasing its volume multifold. Plaque psoriasis is marked by red patches covering the skin and it often occurs on the elbows and knees. Sometimes it may develop on the palms, feet and even on other parts of the body. This disease is characterized by red scaly patches on the skin which is itchy and painful. When it occurs on the scalp it affects the growth of hair forming crust of scales on the head. Plaque psoriasis is definitely a chronic skin problem and the symptoms depend on the type of psoriasis.
Plaque Psoriasis Types :
Pistular psoriasis occurs on the hands and feet in the form of red scaly patches or pistules. Guttate psoriasis develops in the form of red spots and is seen on the limbs and torso. Inverse psoriasis occurs in private parts like groin, armpits and breast area where there is folding of skin. Erythrodermic psoriasis is severe type of psoriasis causing sunburn and infection. It is difficult to treat any type of psoriasis since it is chronic and irritating. There is no guarantee that the disease can be cured completely since there is every chance for getting relapse after short time.
Plaque Psoriasis Causes :
- Exact cause of plaque psoriasis is unknown, but it is believed to be triggered by emotions or stressful situations. For instance loss of close relative or spouse or increased anxiety due to new job can cause this problem. People who are subjected to strep infection can develop psoriasis.
- Auto immune disorder can also cause this infection causing flare-ups on the entire body. It is caused due to abnormal production of antibodies by the immune system.
- Many times, external agents like stress and tension would trigger psoriasis.
- For some people plaque psoriasis is inherited running in families.
- Cold climate, dryness of the skin and skin infection also causes psoriasis. Intake of certain medications like non-steroids for long time and increased blood pressure is another cause for triggering psoriasis. Smoking habit can worsen the skin infection causing widespread of patches to several body parts.
Plaque Psoriasis Symptoms :
Some of the symptoms of psoriasis are thick whitish scaly patches on the skin. It can develop in any part of the body like hands or feet or in the torso region. Rapid growth of skin cells increases the density which does not wait for the old cells to shed. Thus it forms thickened layer of the skin which look like plaques which may grow in size shortly. Very often this skin disease is seen in adults but in rare cases it can occur on children also.
The joints may become inflamed and tender and it may cause intense pain. This condition is known as psoriatic arthritis which is seen largely in toenails and fingernails. It would change the color of nails and may cause separation of nails from the nail-bed.
The doctor will physically examine the body for symptoms of reddish patches or scales on the skin. He may use KOH test for identifying fungal infection.
Plaque Psoriasis Treatment :
Mild forms of psoriasis do not require any treatment since it will wither on its own. You need to take little extra care of your skin by using moisturizing lotions and creams. For severe type of psoriasis combined method of treatments is used and it may take long time for the symptoms to disappear. Depending on the severity of the disease, oral medicines and phototherapy is given. For curing the symptoms on the scalp, medicated shampoos and oils are prescribed.
Pictures of Plaque Psoriasis :
Images, Pics, Pictures and Photos of Plaque Psoriasis
Plaque Psoriasis Home Remedies :
- The skin should not be exposed to ultraviolet rays of the sun. You need to keep the skin moist and dry-free. The crusts of patches can be removed by applying cream which would then peel off the old cells. Aloe Vera is highly effective for removing the scaly patches from the skin. However you cannot expect results overnight and it may take some time for getting positive results.
- You should avoid getting tensed since it can worsen the symptoms. Take care to attend skin injury without any delay since it can trigger formation of patches. You need to take medications in case you are infected with strep throat.
- Discontinue taking non-steroid drugs if you are using for long period or talk with your doctor for finding suitable alternative. Reduce smoking and taking alcohol since it can increase the symptoms if you are already infected with psoriasis.
- Occlusion therapy is given for some people wherein medicated lotions and moisturizers are first applied on the skin. Then the skin area is gently wrapped with tape or plastic cover to help you in retaining the moisture. Anthralin, retinoids and tars are prescribed for managing intense rashes.