Pregnancy test can bring you bundle of happiness, if you are expecting a baby. This simple test can be done at home itself and often it is reliable. You should know the right time for taking a pregnancy test and can be taken a week after you have missed the periods. Presence of HCG in urine makes it easy to identity whether you are pregnant or not. Traces of HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) can be seen in the urine two weeks after conception. If you have missed a period and having other signs of pregnancy, it is a good idea to go for home pregnancy test.
A pregnancy test can confirm if a woman is pregnant. The test can be carried out at home or in the doctor’s office. A woman should become health conscious once she know that is pregnant and make necessary changes in her diet and lifestyle. Pregnancy test can be influenced by certain medications and medical conditions. One pregnancy test is different from the other in showing the results and all you need to do is to follow the instructions given in the label. When used properly, home pregnancy test is often reliable.
How Does It Work?
Level of HCG decides whether you are pregnant or not. Normal levels of HCG in women are below 5.0 mlU per ml. The levels are measured in units of milli international units. But in pregnant women the level multiples two fold or three fold in couple of days. It may increase 1200 mlU/ml in early pregnancy stage and again it may go up to 6000 mlU/ml in 2-3 days.
Human Chorionic Gonadotrpoin is described as pregnancy hormone and the level increases only during pregnancy. HCG is secreted from the placental cells that give nourishment to the fetus. After fertilization the zygote attaches itself in the walls of the uterus firmly and continues to grow.
- The level of HCG is at its peak from 8 to 11 weeks of gestational period.
- Any level of HCG more than 25 mlU/ml indicates pregnancy is positive.
A simple urine test is enough to detect the pregnancy stage at home. All you have to do is to place few drops of urine on a strip. Within 1-2 minutes it detects increased level of HCG displaying the result. You can dip the test stick into the urine container to get the result. Alternatively, you can also use a dropper to drop the urine sample on the test stick.
- Please read the instructions given in the test kit, since each package comes with different way of giving the results.
- Some kit shows change of color if the result is positive.
- Some package shows signs like “+” or “-“indicating pregnancy result is positive or negative.
- There are some kits that display the clear result as “pregnant” if the HCG level is high or “not pregnant” if the level is low/normal.
- You have two options in blood test. One is quantitative and other is qualitative.
- Exact level of HCG can be found in the quantitative test and in qualitative one can find out the presence of HCG.
- But when compared with the urine test, blood test is expensive and you have to wait for the results.
Read More @ Early Pregnancy Symptoms
When Can I Do The Test ?
Home pregnancy test can be done 5-7 days after missed period. You can do the test even before that but one cannot say for sure that the results are reliable. Urine sample should be taken preferably in the first urine after you wake up in the morning.
Influence Of Medications
If you are awaiting pregnancy then it is wise to consult your doctor, if you are taking any medications for any health issues. Intake of some drugs can seriously affect the pregnancy and sometimes it can damage the health of growing fetus. Medications taken for sleeping, Parkinson’s drugs, allergic medications, and antipsychotic drugs should not be taken during pregnancy.
You need to check with your GP if you are already taking epilepsy drugs for long term. You will be given suitable alternate drugs in minimal dosage so that it does not affect the growth of the fetus. Certain health conditions like autoimmune disorder and some types of cancer can trigger the levels of HCG.
How Fare Home Pregnancy Test Is Reliable?
- Almost 97% of home pregnancy test is reliable and this can be easily purchased from drugstore and even some grocery stores. And anyone can easily check the result since it is simple and straightforward.
- But remember to do the test only after you have missed the monthly periods since any test done before that time can give inaccurate results.
- Pregnancy test is very cheap and can cost you one dollar at the maximum.
- If you wish you can visit the nearest health center to avail free pregnancy test in the center.
What Should You Do If The Pregnancy Test Result Is Positive ?
Once you are getting positive result for pregnancy, all you have to do is to get an appointment with your gynecologist. Ensure that you are following her instructions and monitor the growth of your baby. And most importantly, you need to eat healthy diet and do regular exercises. If you are already on medications, promptly check with your doctor since some drugs can influence the growth of the fetus.